1:40 pm
  Search Again
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Opinion / Letters
  Arts / Entertainment
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  DJ Designers
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
Police chase leaves one dead
March 17, 2003, 12:00 AM By Andrew Becker
One man is dead and two others are in the hospital after a high-speed police chase going against the flow of traffic ended in a violent collision on Interstate 280 early Sunday morning.

Joseph Boldt, 20, of Pacifica, led Millbrae police Sgt. Marc Farber on a nearly 20-mile chase that reached speeds of up to 110 mph while going south on northbound Interstate Highway 280, said California Highway Patrol spokesman Christian Oliver. Farber had attempted to pull over Boldt after the driver ran a stop sign.

After hitting another vehicle which was traveling in the right direction, Boldt was ejected from his 1986 Nissan pickup truck. He was taken to Stanford Medical Center where he was later arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter. He is also being charged with felony driving under the influence of a controlled substance, wrong way driving and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Boldt's passenger, Bobby Luke Kleinheinz, 20, of Hillsborough, died from injuries suffered when he also was ejected from the pickup.

At approximately 1:29 a.m., while under the I-280 overpass at Hillcrest Boulevard, Farber saw Boldt drive through a stop sign going about 40 mph as he headed south on Skyline Drive, according to a CHP report. Farber was about to pull Boldt over, but the man drove south on the northbound Millbrae Avenue on-ramp.

Boldt made his way onto I-280 and kept driving in the wrong direction, reaching speeds of 110 mph as he tried to avoid Farber. When Boldt exited I-280 at a vista point, he collided with a fence, but was able to get back on I-280 northbound still going the wrong way, the report stated.

Although he thought continuing was dangerous, Farber still tried to pull Boldt over until the suspect plowed into Girish Wadhwani. Driving north in his 2000 Toyota Corolla around 1:45 a.m., Wadhwani, 28, of Redwood City was going about 70 mph north of Alpine Road near the Santa Clara County border when the pickup hit his car, the report stated. The pickup careened off the right shoulder and down an embankment. Both Boldt and Kleinheinz were ejected from the pickup as neither was wearing a safety belt.

Boldt suffered a broken leg, arm and foot as a result of the crash. Wadhwani was trapped in his car and was eventually extricated by the Palo Alto Fire Department. He

was transported to Stanford Medical Center where he was listed in stable condition with two broken wrists and a broken leg he suffered in the collision. Kleinheinz was pronounced dead at the scene.

CHP did not take part in the pursuit that was initiated by Farber. However, CHP is investigating the fatal collision as well as other collisions Boldt caused as other drivers tried to avoid him earlier in the pursuit, Oliver said. Oliver did not know the specific number of other accidents.

Anyone with information regarding this collision, is asked to contact the CHP at 369-6261.

Andrew Becker can be reached by e-mail: or by phone: (650) 344-5200 ext. 109. What do you think of this story? Send a letter to the editor:<

Print this Page Print this Page |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back

You are in the Archives

  RSS feed RSS
Daily Journal Quick Poll
How often do you see live theater?

At least once a month
Every few months
A few times a year
Once a year
Every few years

©2016 Daily Journal - San Mateo County’s homepage