St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in San Mateo will find out tonight whether plans to grow its campus will get final approval from the Planning Commission.
The church, at 16 Baldwin Ave., seeks to demolish some existing buildings to build new ones that will increase the school's capacity from about 230 students now to about 375 students when the project is expected to be completed in the fall of 2014.
Church officials want to construct a three-story building on its Baldwin Avenue campus to house a new below-grade gymnasium and provide more classroom space for its school.
The Episcopal church also plans to add a new playground and extra parking on an undeveloped corner lot at the northwest corner of Second Avenue and El Camino Real.
The application for the project was first submitted to the city in December 2011.
Plans, in three phases, include the addition of the Charles House for the Early Childhood Learning Center and development of an outdoor play space at the Mills corner site. The Charles House, located at 15 Second Ave., was built as a church rectory in 1917 and currently does not host regular academic activities.
Plans also include the removal of the nursery building and its replacement with a new fourth grade through eighth grade classroom building including the below-grade gym in the second phase of the project.
The third phase of the project includes the preservation, renovation and expansion of the existing Julia Beylard Hall for use as an improved theater and church and school community space.
The church opened in 1865 and the K-8 school opened in 1953.
The city did not receive one letter of opposition or support from the public related to the project.
The Planning Commission decision on the application will be the final approval needed for the project unless it is appealed to the City Council.
The Planning Commission meets 7:30 p.m., tonight, City Hall, 330 W. 20th Ave., San Mateo.
(650) 344-5200 ext. 106