A carbon monoxide leak that prompted the evacuation of the Embassy Suites San Francisco Airport hotel in Burlingame in November prompted a lawsuit from a guest who was staying at the hotel.
On Friday, a lawsuit was filed against the hotel on behalf of Robert and Diane McNamara by San Francisco-based attorney Richard Schoenberger.
Robert McNamara was a guest at the time of the evacuation, which was believed to be caused by a boiler leak. McNamara claims the hotel was not equipped with carbon monoxide detectors resulted in exposing paying guests to hazardous levels of the gas, according to the lawsuit. As a result, he's claiming negligence and requesting the hotel cover costs of general damages, medical bills, potential loss of revenue and legal fees.
Requests for comment to Embassy Suites were not returned.
Firefighters were called to the hotel at 150 Anza Blvd. to test its air quality and evacuate guests around 1 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, according to news reports at the time.
The carbon monoxide was traced to a boiler that feeds the hotel pool and a spa, Central County Fire Chief Don Dornell said at the time. The unit was immediately shut down, and carbon monoxide levels dissipated, he said. At the time, it was reported that there were no injuries nor was treatment required of anyone. Guests were able to return to their rooms shortly after 5 a.m. Crews remained at the hotel monitoring the air throughout the morning.