no Giants' three-year deal with Casilla completed
Wednesday
April
23
2014
4:16 pm
Weather
  Search Again
  Home
  Local News
  State / National / World
  Sports
  Opinion / Letters
  Business
  Arts / Entertainment
  Lifestyle
  Obituaries
  Calendar
  Submit Event
  Comics / Games
  DJ Designers
  Archives
  Advertise With Us
  About Us
 

Check out our archive of Dining Guides - Yum!

Giants' three-year deal with Casilla completed
December 19, 2012, 05:00 AM The Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — Right-handed reliever Santiago Casilla completed a $15 million, three-year contract with the World Series champion San Francisco Giants on Tuesday.

The deal includes a club/vesting option for the 2016 season. Casilla passed his physical to finalize his new contract, Giants vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans said.

The 32-year-old Casilla went 7-6 with a 2.84 ERA and 25 saves last season, initially assuming the closer role after 2010 saves leader Brian Wilson was lost in April to a second Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. He made 73 appearances and pitched 63 1-3 innings.

"Glad to know we have Santiago for at least three more years,” manager Bruce Bochy said. "He's been an integral part of our bullpen the last three years, so it's great to have him tied up for the next three years.”

Casilla is set to earn $4.5 million in 2013 and ‘14 and $5 million in 2015. He would receive a $1 million buyout if his option doesn't vest. He was eligible for arbitration this winter and could have become a free agent next offseason.

Giants general manager Brian Sabean was committed to keeping his championship team intact as much as possible — and, so far, he has been able to do so with much of the core group.

Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt signed an $18 million, three-year deal in November, then center fielder Angel Pagan and second baseman Marco Scutaro reached multiyear contracts during this month's winter meetings in Nashville — Pagan for $40 million over four years and Scutaro for $20 million over three years.

In addition, San Francisco brought back Andres Torres on a one-year deal last week to play left field. He was a key member of the 2010 World Series winners here.

The Giants declined to tender Wilson a contract late last month, making him a free agent. Bochy has said Sergio Romo will be his closer heading into 2013.

Romo is thrilled to see so many familiar faces returning.

"I thought it was real huge we signed those guys back,” Romo said. "What a role they played in our ride last year, our adventure as a group last year. Having (Pagan and Scutaro) back, those are the top two guys in our lineup. We've got the top of our order back.”

Casilla's new deal was negotiated by agents Sam and Seth Levinson, who also represent 2012 All-Star game MVP Melky Cabrera. The former Giants outfielder was suspended for 50 games in August for a positive testosterone test and left off San Francisco's postseason roster once eligible to return.

Cabrera received a $16 million, two-year contract from the Toronto Blue Jays last month.


Print this Page Print this Page |  Bookmark and Share
<< Back
 
  


 
You are in the Archives

Exit
  RSS feed RSS
Daily Journal Quick Poll
 
What do you think of the Warriors' proposal to move to Mission Bay?

Smart, a better location
Still like the waterfront arena concept
Wish they would stay in Oakland
Anywhere in San Francisco is good
How about the Burlingame waterfront?
 
 
 

 
 
  
 
  
 
 
 
 
©2014 Daily Journal - San Mateo County’s homepage